Schwarzman Scholars was inspired by the Rhodes Scholarship, which was founded in 1902 to promote international understanding and peace, and is designed to meet the challenges of the 21st century and beyond. Blackstone Co-Founder Stephen A. Schwarzman personally contributed $100 million to the program and is leading a fundraising campaign to raise an additional $350 million from private sources to endow the program in perpetuity. The $450 million endowment will support up to 200 scholars annually from the U.S., China and around the world for a one-year Master’s Degree program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, one of China’s most prestigious universities and an indispensable base for the country’s science and technology research. Scholars chosen for this highly selective program will live in Beijing for a year of study and cultural immersion, attending lectures, traveling and developing a better understanding of China. Admissions opened in the fall of 2015, with the first class of students in residence in the summer of 2016. Learn more about Schwarzman Scholars at www.schwarzmanscholars.org.
The Stephen A. Schwarzman Education Foundation is a startup organization with a small team of employees working to drive the program’s mission forward.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS
Schwarzman Scholars seeks an Associate Director of Admissions to work with the Global Director of Admissions on the strategy and execution of a world-class admissions process, designed to select the next generation of young leaders from around the world for an unparalleled introduction to China via the Schwarzman Scholars Master’s program at Tsinghua University.
The Associate Director of Admissions is based in New York City along with other members of the admissions team responsible for recruiting U.S. and Global Schwarzman Scholars. S/he will work with the Global Director of Admissions to oversee Schwarzman Scholars admissions officers’ outreach and selection efforts, focusing on day-to-day management and assessment of outreach officer’s progress toward goals. S/he will hold primary responsibility for managing admissions data systems ensuring that data systems support a goal-oriented selection process and assessment admissions goals. The Associate Director of Admissions will also directly manage the admissions online application and database to ensure that data collection is optimized for mission-driven decision making and for the short- and long-term evaluation needs of the admissions process and the program as a whole.
S/he will work with the Global Director of Admissions to strategize key relationships with universities, employers, distinguished fellowship programs and other recruiting sources for Schwarzman Scholars, and will work with the Global Director of Admissions to constantly evaluate and improve the selection process for US and Global Scholars. The Global Director of Admissions manages relationships with Tsinghua University on all admissions matters, and the Associate Director supports the Global Director in managing those relationships and ensuring consistency of strategy, standards, communication, and data between the China and the US/Global admissions teams.
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCES ESSENTIAL FOR SUCCESS
The Schwarzman Scholars team seeks an experienced administrator with demonstrated operational experience in an academic and/or international education setting.
The successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal qualities:
- The Associate Director’s management style should embody the international cultural competencies and flexibility needed to be successful the evolving environment of a new and global program, but must also demonstrate focused management skills to drive toward ambitious program goals. Must have the ability to navigate complex relationships with ease.
- Focus on process. Schwarzman Scholars is still in its early years and is growing and adapting. The Associate Director must be comfortable in this type of environment and have demonstrated experience in creating systems and new processes to help transition the program to one that is both well-structured and can adapt and embrace innovation in the long term.
- A passion for the educational mission. The Scholarship is designed to attract future leaders who will benefit from an understanding of China and a strong global network of relationships. The ideal candidate will have a broad view of global education, leadership development, and a broad general engagement and passion for the work of the Schwarzman Scholars program.
- Deep admissions experience. The Associate Director must have significant experience working with admissions, both recruitment and selection. The program enrolls graduates from the most prestigious colleges, universities and employers in the world. The ideal candidate will have experience working with institutions of the highest caliber and bring strong admissions-related networks to the position.
- Deep experience managing data systems. The program relies on a complex online application and database to collect applicant data and evaluate the program. The Associate Director must have experience building, adapting, managing and reporting from relational databases. The Associate Director must also have direct experience of evaluating, selecting, and managing information technology vendors.
- Experience managing teams. In addition to the Global Director and Associate Director, a team of admissions officers execute the selection process each spring and summer and manage the admissions process each fall. The Associate Director is their direct supervisor, working closely with the Global Director, and must have prior experience training, supervising, evaluating and coaching junior staff.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.